So, there's this video going around called "Why I hate religion but love Jesus"
I watched it...but here's the problem I found. I looked up the definition of religion which is:
"Belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny"
So yeah, considering we are commanded to believe (John 3;16), worship (John 4:24, Phil: 3:3, Ps: 2:11) and obey (Acts: 5:29, 1 Peter: 1:2) our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, his logic doesn't really add up because if you love someone you generally try to, you know, do what they ask. So basically what he's saying is not Biblical. And my fear is that unsaved people are watching that video and it's giving them an excuse to turn their back on the Church, and buy into this faith without works nonsense.
As you're probably already furious with me...I'll add that I highly recommend this:
It's twelve minutes long but it's truth. And truth is hard to come by.
I can see what you're getting at. (I'm not furious, either). But there's been a lot of work done over the last few years by leading pastors in the evangelical community (Tim Keller in particular) to distinguish between rules-based faith and gospel-based faith. As far as I can tell, the guy in that video is just using that same distinction that is fairly commonplace among the evangelical church. In other words...the definition of religion is changing. It's already negative to our culture, and it is now being redefined as rule-keeping.
ReplyDelete